Monday, June 08, 2009

Bridging the Gap Phase II Ground Breaking Celebration

"Looks like you it's time to take me on another bike ride!"
 
Congressman Brian Baird just stolen my thunder as I walked up to him at the ground breaking event. This will take some explaining...
 
A few years ago, when the federal transportation bill was being re-authorized, I saw an announcement that Congressman Baird was going to be in town. We had recently secured funding for Phase I of the Bridging the Gap Project (the bridge over I-5) thanks to Sandra Romero, then one of our representatives in the State Legislature (now a County Commissioner). There wasn't any such funding for the other two phases. Having been involved in a lot of other forms of bike advocacy, some effective, some not, I thought I'd try something different than another meeting or hearing. I decided to invite the Congressman on a bike ride of the area, specifically to show him the Bridging the Gap Project. He agreed, and after some quick organization and planning, we met with some other riders from our community at the Olympia Farmers Market.
 
Long ride short, Congressman Baird agreed to try and help fund Phase II of the project (a bridge over Martin Way), and was, obviously, successful. True, things have proceeded along slower than anticipated since then, but the hundred or so folks that gathered at the ground breaking event on 6/7/09 were still glad. I had thought of a good-natured heckling of the Congressman might be in order, but I didn't get within 15 feet of him before he shot my joke right at me! I was stunned (and relieved).
 
When a project like this is in its infancy, it's hard to see "The Promised Land". All you perceive is a sizable obstacle that isn't cheap to fund or easy to get support for. With early leadership from individuals on the Thurston Regional Planning Council (such as Pete Kmet of Tumwater City Council), as well as help from Sandra Romero and Brian Baird, we're more than half-way there. I think that staff and elected officials are really learning what is possible with regional cooperation, and how loved and needed facilities like trails are in their communities.
 
And me, I've learned that my congressman has a sense of humor!
 
Thanks to everyone who helped out with and attended the event. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go plan a bike ride....

Posted via email from OlyBikes

No comments: